Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hugh Hefner on Love

I read this quote from Hugh Hefner on PerezHilton today:

"Everything I learned about love, I learned from the movies. The reality is because I was not shown affection, I escaped into an alternate universe, and it came right out of the movies. Love for me is defined almost exclusively in terms of romantic love as defined by the films of my childhood."

(Quote originally appeared in the L.A. Times)

It made me think about what expectations we have because of what society has taught us. There are the broad and semi obvious answers, like expecting a Happily Ever After. But what about the subtler things, like teaching women their "place" or their "role." And the same for men. It's like watching a typical movie about high school and seeing all the actors be 10 years older and 10 times hotter than actual high school kids. And then they go to these parties that are at some pimp house with like 3 balconies and a pool/hot tub and there's like 300 people there. High school parties like that don't exist. (Unless they do - then I really missed out...or did I?)

This quote seems to explain a lot about Hugh Hefner. If you crave the romantic love you see in movies, if that's your idea of love, you'll constantly be chasing that first thrill, the beginning, the passion, the heat and intensity that usually only lasts 6 months or a year if you're lucky. Or if you're one of those freak couples who after years and years still can't keep your hands off each other in public. Get a room!

No comments:

Post a Comment