Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals in Cleveland

I spent four years living in Vermont, so I became acquainted with lots of different local music and even got to meet a few of the very talented artists living in that vibrant state. (I love Vermont and will sing it's praises nonstop if you let me.)


To name a few of my favorites, there's the obvious, Phish, and the less obvious: RAQ, Michetti, Blues for Breakfast, Jay Burwick, Greyspoke, and, the title of the post, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals


I'd been listening to Grace's sophomore album for a few months before I finally saw her the first time at Jam on the River in Philly. She blew me away! Girlfriend's got some serious pipeage! Most reviewers/listeners of Grace say she sounds like a mix between a young Bonnie Rait and Janis Joplin, and I have to agree, but Grace's vocals can blow both out of the water (and that's saying a lot)! Her songs sound new and old at the same time. She's able to flawlessly create songs that are also stories, just as flawlessly as she can transition from a flying V guitar, back to keys. 
Grace Potter and her Nocturnals. Yes, we were this close.
When I heard Grace was coming to Cleveland's Beachland Ballroom, I grabbed my bestie (side note: HI RACHAEL!) and headed to the east side for what I knew would be a good time. 


Grace had just released a new, self-titled album, which I hadn't heard at all. Everyone knows it's more fun to go to a show when you know most of the songs, but I knew before even hearing them that I'd love them.

 Highlights of the show (and new album):
Paris (Oh La La) - Great tune! With a catchy chorus, we were singing along after the first verse. Lyrical highlight: 'If I was a blade I'd shave you smooth.'
Medicine - This song reminds me of something Cher might've sung in the '70s, it straight up reminds me of 'Gypsies, Tramps and Theives.' This song is a story about a woman who comes to town and steals the attention of not just Grace's man, but all the men, because of her magic potions. I won't tell you the ending, you'll have to listen for yourself. Lyrical highlight: 'She'll tell you things that'll make a grown man cry.'
Only Love - A more mellow tune, for sure, but great harmonies. Lyrical highlight: 'I fall asleep and dream of finding somebody who really knows.'


And bonus video from Rachael:

No comments:

Post a Comment