Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bay Days!

Some of my fondest memories when I was a kid happened at Bay Days. Bay Days is the annual carnival/fair that comes to town for a few days around the 4th of July. 


I love everything, the rides, the games, the foods, not really the carnies, but ok a little bit, the lights, the fact that there's finally something TO DO in my small hometown. 

View of Bay Days from the Paratroopers


The first memory I have there is of being curious about the Salt-N-Pepper Shaker ride (aka Loop-O-Plane), but still being too scared to ride it. Somehow I let my mom convince me to hop on. Pretty sure I cried the whole time.


When I got older, I started to LOVE the Salt-N-Pepper Shakers. Still, I maintained a healthy fear of them, especially after having the door to the ride open on me in mid-air! I quickly learned that the bar that comes across the riders also holds the door in place, so we pushed down on the bar as hard as we could for the rest of the ride. 


I also frequently participated in the Bike Decorating Contest/Parade. I always had so much fun staying up late the night before, covering my bike in red, white and blue streamers, and flags, and stars, and silver twine, and anything else I could find that would add some extra flair. The prizes were coveted gift certificates to Toys R Us, and I can't recall if I ever came in first place, but I did come in second a few times. When I got too old, I passed the torch on to my little bro who got all decked out with a flag painted face, flag themed outfit and huge flag printed hats. He got in the newspaper a few times!
Me! Totally psyched about my awesomely decorated bike!

This year was the first time I'd been to Bay Days in 4 years. The smells, rides, and even some of the carnies were all the same. I enjoyed perogies, corn dogs, fries and cotton candy. And, of course, a ride on the Scrambler with Lena.
Lena and I love the scrambler!

No comments:

Post a Comment