Thursday, September 22, 2011

Coca Cola Crafts

You guys know me... you know I'm basically obsessed with Coca Cola and other coke products. To be honest, I'm not sure why. I think part of it is genetic. Yes, I'm being serious. My uncle used to have a HUGE Coca Cola collection. Basically a whole room dedicated to Coke. (I know my friends are thinking, "Don't you have a whole room dedicated to Coke?" And to that I say, "touche." But also, "You have no idea, his Coke room blows mine outta the water!") But maybe it's not genetics and it's just from having fond memories of that room in my uncle's house. The origin doesn't matter, the fact remains the same: I am a Coca Cola collector.


So far, I've limited my collection to the kitchen. I've got TONS of Coca Cola glasses, some hand towels, posters, a calendar, plates and bowls, a cooler, a bucket and... I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. But now I've just hammered the point home, in all caps, screaming it with eyes bulging out of my head, "I LOVE COCA COLA."


About a year ago I got this great idea to some how take the tapered top off of a glass Coke bottle, and make the bottom half into a candle. I started adding empty Coke bottles to my collection. After stumbling upon a Youtube video of how to cut glass using a string, rubbing alcohol, fire, and ice cold water, the bf and I tried a few. And it worked! Unfortunately, the results were all over the place with some glasses breaking cleanly, and others leaving very rough, jagged edges. The method still needs to be perfected. (Aren't there lasers to cut glass? Magic? Come on, it's 2011!)


But I've finished a few candles! I used a gel wax, which was perfect for this, cause it has little air bubbles inside making it look like carbonation, and I dyed it brown. Check out the end result!

No comments:

Post a Comment